Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wow, it's been almost a year!

I cannot believe it's been almost a year since I've last posted.  Wow! Time flies. Well, here is my update kiddies.


Xavier (Xman) is starting school (Kindergarten) in a few weeks. It's only half day in my city and I can't see how in century that makes any sense. Kids need school to learn.  Kindergarten is the base for all learning.  Everything you learn there carries on for your whole life.  That's why every Valadictorian speech references the poem "What I Learned in Kidergarten" right?  Half days just make no sense to me.  How can a child learn anything in 3 hours time? I mean come on.  They get to school approximately 9am, learn a little something, have a snack or lunch, draw a picture and go home.  Really, am I paying taxes for my kid to eat lunch at school or to learn something? But I digress!

With Xavier away at half day Kindergarten, Addison will be in preschool all alone.  I hope she makes it through.  Her and "Brother" are so attached. They are very close.  Although, Addy tends to go off on her own now.  Being out of the "baby" room has been the best thing for her.  We were able to get them into a new preschool (Head Start) the same two days a week.  I like it there.  It's more of a school environment.  and I think it is a much better influence on Addy.  Within a week of being in the new preschool, Addy completely potty "trained" herself.  I think being around kids that were learning themselves and on their own helped her realize she was a BIG girl now and didn't have to be in a "baby" room anymore! Best move we ever made for them I think.

Don't get me wrong, I loved their old school but it was very busy.  A lot of kids, a lot of yelling and screaming.  A lot of commotion.  My kids were never use to that.  It's usually pretty tame and quiet at my house.  No one is allowed to run around crazy (unless Mumma is chasing them around the table to tickle them). We jump on the furniture for a little while everyday.  But, it's not "crazy". At Memere's house things are much more tame. No jumping on furniture, no running allowed and a lot of playing on the front porch in the summer are great fun for them. But, nothing was ever as "crazy" as their first preschool.  Again, not in an OMG that place is awful kind of "crazy" in a their really busy kind of "crazy".


With all that said, their first year of preschool went pretty well.  They attended two days a week.  We had quite a few bumps along the way but, I think it had a lot to do with them being separated.  Addy didn't like being in the "baby" room and Xavier didn't like his sister would crying when Mumma left so, he would cry and get upset.  I felt bad at first.  I felt like I was the most horrible mother on the earth.  I thought long and hard about my decision to take a new position at work.  But, eventually I decided it was the right choice for our family.  The kids needed to be around other kids to learn some "street" smarts.  They needed to learn how to make friends and they needed to find some independence from adults in their life!



Xavier graduated from preschool in the most adorable baby blue cap and gown (a real cap and gown).  It was an adorable ceremony.  Like I said, the boys wore baby blue and the girls had a pretty pink cap and gown.  I definitely teared up quit a few times.  I'm not usually a "crier" and I'm not emotionally sentimental but, that was my baby boy up there telling the world why he wanted to be a "Police Man" (Cop in his words) when he grows up.  (Inside, I hope it's only the little boy in him that wants that job) Being a public servant is NOT all it is cracked up to be. But, for him it seems like the most awesome job because in his words, "I can lock up the bad guys!" 


That felt like a little bit of rambling but, it's how I remember the last "year"!


0 others said so!: